9/17/08

My Footprint

Things I want to commit to in order for me to decrease my footprint is…
- use the transit more and walk
- keep recycling
- try to buy products with less packaging and support products that use biodegradable packaging

I personally do not think I can become a vegetarian or not eat meat. But I do support animal rights, even though some animals are meant to be eaten, I believe they deserve better treatment. One more thing to add to the list is to remind others and spread the word to other people that they have a responsibility to help reduce our global footprint.

1 comment:

david said...

The idea of spreading the word, setting an example for your neighbours to see so that positive actions will become "viral" is central to Palin's "Why Bother?"

He uses this idea of the viral action as one reason why we ought to bother with seemingly small actions. Small acts are worth doing, do have an impact, because if our biggest miseries are created by millions of small (negative) actions, then they can be counteracted by millions of small positive actions.

However, I do think humans generally try to accommodate the status quo rather than really try to fix the problem. If we are heading towards the cliff, we tend to think, "hmmm, how can we slow this down a bit?" rather than put on the brakes and do a u-turn.

All our acts to downsize our footprints are exactly this kind of engineering around the problem without addressing it at the core.
These acts are ultimately futile, unless we grasp that it is our values that will destroy us not our choice of technology, and then to change our values is an even harder thing. Some cultures in the past chose to perish instead of dropping values; they could have survived if they let go of them, but they could not do it for whatever reason, and the whole civilization went down with their beloved values.

We are going that way I believe.