9/8/08

Introduction - Stewart

Hi there, my name is Stewart Shum and I just moved here from Vancouver, BC. I've lived in Vancouver my entire life so moving here was a big change. I do miss the mountains and the beaches already which were less than 20 minutes away. I've heard mountains and beaches don't exist here in Toronto.

I'm attending OCAD to obtain a degree in Industrial Design with a minor in Sustainability. Here's a picture of me sitting on a row boat in Central Park, New York. I've visited New York many many times and considered going to school there instead.

I'm a big fan of architecture and love to wander the streets of new cities just looking at old buildings. I had the opportunity to visit Barcelona in the summer of 2007 and went to see many of the structures designed by Antoni Gaudi. One of those structures is known as the Sagrada Familia which has been under construction since 1882 and not expected to be finished for another 100 years! The building was built as a place of worship. The details of both the exterior and interior are amazing . The attached photo shows one of the interior support columns. The form is meant to mimic the structure of a tree with a trunk and branches.



In 10 years time, this structure will still be under construction. This may be one of those structures which may never be fully finished but it would be amazing to participate in some session inside the main worship hall.






2 comments:

david said...

Hi, Stewart. Whoever told you about the TO cityscape only got it half right. There is a part of town called "The Beaches" where there is actually a beach, maybe not up to Vancouver's standards, ie. you might want to put on a hazmat suit on before taking a dip, but many Torontonians have been well served by it.

Ari said...

Hi there,

thanks for the info...I've heard of the Beaches but I don't it can be compared to being on the ocean front plus you can still swim in many of the beaches in Vancouver!