11/25/08

AGO

This is my first time going to the AGO. I've passed by the AGO while underconstruction numerous times, so I presumed it was only and explansion on the exterior front that was renovated. Just as I was walking by the front, passing the AGO shop I saw the Frank Gehry Wiggle Chair, I already knew I was in for something. Walking in the first sight of this wiggling pathway leading to the ticket booth already impressed me. As we enter the building instantly greeted by another really aspiring staircase extruding out of the side of the interior wall was absolutely stunning. Entering the back room, I realize there was a lot of incorporation of wooden beams and wooden flooring in the new renovated areas, in fact much of the newly renovated area are incorporated with wood. The wood created a really beautiful, warmth and organic ambient. It definitely suggested the feel of Canada. 

I must admit I was more impressed by the architecture than the actual gallery itself, although the contemporary had some quite interesting things. The warhol stuff looked pretty interesting. There was a massive cube which looked like fur from afar, but until I step closer than I realize they were steel fillings and the cube was a magnet, creating these really interesting organic pattern, which resembled furlike behavior. Another really cool piece was a sculptur of a man's face stretched vertically like how you can distort images in photoshop. The amazing thign was the artist was able to replicate this with extreme detail, and three dimensionally. I could see each strand of hair and each strand of facial hair. The result was visually stunning, I definitely had my jaw dropped.

No comments: