11/25/08

AGO is made with organic soy beans


This is one of several Drawing Stations at the AGO, one of the brainchilds of the head designer at the gallery. I wish we had 30-50 of these on every floor at OCAD!

As I sat there revelling in the cozy environment of my own private desk (I hid the second chair so I could hog the whole desk), one of the staff walked by and I hailed her. I asked her about these Drawing Stations and she told me that they were a part of the gallery's new mandate (too strong a word, maybe "philosophy" is better) of public engagement. Galleries are trying to offer a more active experience for the visitor.

There are also future plans to web-ify the gallery, to give the art itself a web presence, so people can have a place to leave comments on those pieces online, maybe even discuss them with other people in the community, including the artists themselves.

She also told me that spaces like the Drawing Stations are designed and assembled by the AGO's in-house design and construction team and the components are fabricated from a modular building system called "kit of parts" which sounds something like Lego. Which means they can erect and take down these Drawing Stations very quickly and put something else in its place, which is sad because I want them to be there permanently as my own secret study spaces. Those restaurant rails rule. I hung up my drawings there while I was brainstorming my lathe project for woodshop.

No comments: