11/25/08

AGO Makeover!!


Ever since being a design student at OCAD, whenever I enter any building I feel like a professional design critic and start analyzing every element in the space; whether it works or not (lighting, furniture, colours, materials, etc.). I really like the transformed AGO. Although the exterior of the building is beautifully designed, I think it is a bit much for Dundas street. It seems to overpower the area, which can be positive or negative, but more negative with that block of Dundas street feeling smaller. The interior seemed to be endless. I didn’t have a favourite exhibit, but I was attracted to the strange seating in the foyer by the striking sculptural staircase. Although I don`t think these chairs really fit in the space well or compliment it in any way, when I sat down I was intrigued because they look like such hard surfaces, yet sitting down I discovered they had a soft cushiony quality to them. I immediately had to tell people they were cushiony. No one was as intrigued as I was, that's when I realized that the chair and I had a special bond.

No comments: