11/24/08

AGO-my favorite part.......



I went to the AGO on the weekend of its opening. My favorite part was the Ship Collection that was situated under neath the main hall. The collection is apart of Ken Thompson rare artifact collection. I enjoy craftsmanship and models and seeing those ships just blew my mind. The detail in the pulleys, sails and connections of the fibers, ivory and exotic woods. What I gathered from reading the plaques was they were made by French prisoners of war while in captivity by the British. The casing for the ships were there own piece of art, curvilinear glass that creates a space that looks fluid with the ships elevated at different heights. The Douglas fir stairwell was interesting, it renews the classicist space with the warm wood and protrusion through the skylight. It was still under construction when I went but i"ll be back.........
Rachel De Vries

No comments: